Thursday 12 December 2013

Scenaration. Miss Miller

The scenes I am describing here are from our rough cut and not the story board. This is because some scenes used in the story board were not easy to do or better narrative ideas were found in the editing or filming stage. However the plot remains the same.

The scene starts with me and Lucy walking through the woods chatting about random things. I indicate that I need to talk to Lucy about something important so we find an old building to go sit in. As we walk a number of high angles and straight cuts are used. There is a dark gradient placed over the scene as we walk through the woods. Throughout the first shots a light piano music is played to hopefully build suspense. As we continue to walk, the camera switches to a handheld shot used in the sense of a point of view angle and is shows the camera moving down from a tree to the floor and the stalked hides in the leaves. At this point I turn around to see if anything is there. The audience can really feel that they are in the stalkers shoes at this point.

The music is still playing and the next scene and it is a mid shot of me and Lucy walking into a room. The music lowers and the room is covered in candles. I say "so we can finally have that chat now" and there is a bang on the window. I go outside to check while the camera follows me. A good use of low key light is used here and blurs and fades are used to try and keep continuity as I leave.

I walk into an open forest and say "is anyone there?" The camera angle then cleverly changes to a point of view shot of the stalker who we see hiding as I walk. The stalker follows me walking behind me using a point of view shot and not changing the angles to keep it current and real. We can see a blade of screen as the stalker walks and we do this for quite a while to build up tension among the audience. He then runs up to me and just as he strikes a flash comes across the screen and the camera cuts back to Lucy.

She then continues to follow the same path I did and we keep the light, noise, angles and shots the same as when I walked out to show the similarity of movement to keep the audience engaged. She is now in the forest and a canted angle is used while she shouts "Noah" continuously. She stops suddenly and a panning shot is used as the camera moves around her so the audience can see what she sees. Hopefully at this point the audience are shocked to see me dead over a tree with blood dripping off me.

There is then a jump cut to the front of Lucy and the music suddenly builds and becomes a lot more sharper.  The stalker is seen rushing up behind her and just as he strikes once again the music and film cuts suddenly. Hopefully this cliff hanger will leave the audience in a great deal of suspense.

1 comment:

  1. You have provided a good recount of your opening scene, explaining what happens and what is shown. You need to mke sure you provide a frame by frame recount of the entire sequence.

    To improve your post you need to:
    1) Go into more depth by providing a frame by frame recount of the sequence
    2) Include sound and editing used
    3) Double check spelling etc.

    ReplyDelete