Tuesday 5 November 2013

Individual story board. Miss Miller




The purpose of a story board is to depict and show what is in every frame. I am using 10 frames ranging from 4 to 30 seconds long. The story helps lay out the scene and shows you exactly what you should see and hear. The story board includes elements like camera shot, location, iconography, lighting, actors, sound, editing and a narrative description. The story board explains how Lucy is lost in a forest and runs into a house before discovering me dead. The killer then appears behind her.

We have created individual story boards as we can write and show what we as individuals want to see from are thriller and I think 3 minds coming together to make one really broadens our knowledge and allows us to see aspects we maybe didn't think of before.

In my personal story board i have used quite a lot of hand held and point of view shots. This is done to make the audience feel like they are in her shoes and connotes the idea of fear and maybe loneliness. I have taken inspiration from the thriller 'cloverfield' as the whole film was shot in a hand held point of view angle some elements of that really gripped me personally.

Another style I have used is the lack of sound. The only sound used in the film is natural which could be picked up on by my group as chilling sound effects do help. However here i have not used them. I have used silence twice, rustling leaves, heavy breathing, wind and a water drop sound. I have taken the idea of this from the film 'the happinging' This film used a various array of wind and natural noises to create suspense

Another point I could take to my group to improve is the involvement of iconography. The only prop i have included is a tree. A good thriller normally involves items like knifes or weapons. Films like chainsaw massacre are based on props so I fell I need to bring this up with my group.

A key element I have used is the positioning of the camera, I feel this is very important. In frame 4 I say the camera is at a canted angle as it shows imbalance and could create panic amongst the audience. Another camera position is the low angle in frame 5. This position makes Lucy feel small in comparison to what she is looking at.

Overall I feel my group can  use this effectively and be able to make improvements like filling out the frames.










































1 comment:

  1. You have provided a detailed analysis of why you have created individual storyboards and what you have included in yours, noting where you have taken certain inspirations from and explaining why you have included certain elements in the hope of creating certain emotions/reactions from the audience. Try and elaborate on some of your points further to show a better understanding.

    To improve your post you need to:
    1) Give a more detailed explanation of why storyboards are used overall
    2) Elaborate on some of your points further by explaining how certain elements will help create certain reactions etc.
    3) Include pictures of all of your frames

    ReplyDelete